Monday, May 19, 2014

PGA Proposed Roadmap for consultation


THE PRESIDENT OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY

19 May, 2014

Excellency,

I wish to again bring to your urgent attention Operative Paragraph 9 of General Assembly Resolution 66/926, on "Organization of the high-level plenary meeting of the sixty-ninth session of the General Assembly, to be known as the World Conference on Indigenous Peoples." In the said paragraph, the Assembly decided that, "...the World Conference shall result in a concise, action-oriented outcome document, and requests the President of the General Assembly to prepare a draft text, on the basis of consultations with Member States and indigenous peoples ..."

You will undoubtedly recall the various proposals from Member States which my Office submitted for the collective consideration of the Assembly, in order to arrive at an agreed basis for the consultations called for in the aforementioned paragraph. None of these proposals has garnered consensus among the membership.

In view of shortness of time and the need for the mandated consultations to take place early enough to give Member States sufficient time to consider a draft outcome text, I am pleased to submit the following proposal for the consideration of the entire membership of the Assembly. This proposal was initially shared with the Chairs of the Regional Groups, as well as the two Ambassadorial Advisors from Member States, and one of the nominated Advisors from the Indigenous Peoples, whom I have identified to assist me in the consultations.

The proposal, which will be shared with all stakeholders, is as follows:

I will convene, and personally preside over, an open and inclusive consultation with Member States and with representatives of the Indigenous peoples.  At the consultation, I will be assisted by the two Ambassadorial Advisers and the two Advisers nominated by the Indigenous Peoples.

During the consultation, I will invite Member States to share with me their ideas as to what should be the content of the Outcome Document. I will invite the Indigenous peoples to do the same.

Following the consultation, I will prepare a zero draft of an Outcome Document. The aforementioned Advisers will assist me with this effort. The resulting draft document will be shared with Member States, as well as with the Indigenous Peoples for their consideration.

A subsequent follow-up consultation will be held to enable Member States and representatives of the Indigenous Peoples to share their views on the zero draft. On the basis of these views, and with the assistance of the Advisers, a revised draft document will be prepared that I hope will be a fair reflection of the views and will be the basis for moving forward with the negotiations.

I sincerely hope that this proposal meets with your acceptance and allows us to finally move this much-delayed process forward.

If my Office does not receive any objections by 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, 20 May, I will consider the proposal accepted and will subsequently notify you of the date of the first consultation, which l hope will be on or before Thursday, 29 May.

Please accept, Excellency, the assurances of my highest consideration.

John W. Ashe
*************
All Member States
and Permanent Observers to the United Nations