BackgroundThe General Assembly decided (resolution 65/198 of 21 December 2010) to organize a high-level plenary meeting of the General Assembly, to be known as the World Conference on Indigenous Peoples, to be held in 2014, in order to share perspectives and best practices on the realization of the rights of indigenous peoples, including to pursue the objectives of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
The General Assembly, by its resolution 62/296 of 17 September 2012, sets out the modalities of the World Conference, in particular, that the World Conference shall result in a concise, action-oriented outcome document. The modalities in the resolution request the President of the General Assembly to prepare a draft text in consultation with Members States and indigenous peoples. This will take into account views emerging from a preparatory process, including an interactive hearing (see below).
- Scope and modalities of the World Conference (A/RES/66/296).
- Resolution adopted by the General Assembly on 21 December 2010 (A/RES/65/198).
- United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (A/RES/61/295).
- The Alta Outcome Document (A/67/994).
- Lima Declaration 28-30 October 2013
- Declaration of Santa Cruz de la Sierra 7-9 April 2014
- United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues (website).
- WebTV link.
- IASG Thematic paper - Education
- IASG Thematic paper - Employment
- IASG Thematic paper - Health
- IASG Thematic paper - Lands territories and resources
- IASG Thematic paper - Participation
- IASG Thematic paper - Sexual and reproductive health
- IASG Thematic paper - Traditional Knowledge
- IASG Thematic paper - Violence against indigenous women and girls
Informal Interactive Hearing - 17-18 June 2014Paragraph 7 of resolution 66/296 requested the President of the General Assembly to organize, no later than June 2014, an informal interactive hearing with representatives of indigenous peoples and representatives of entities of the United Nations system, academic institutions, national human rights institutions, parliamentarians, civil society and non-governmental organizations, in accordance with the relevant provisions of the present resolution, and to provide valuable input into the preparatory process for the World Conference, including the Conference outcome document.
- Event programme for the informal interactive hearing
- Concept Note for the informal interactive hearing
- Summary of June 3 consultations